Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Old to New..

As I stated in my previous post aside from sewing.. which I promise to post some of my sewn items soon.. I took on redoing antique/vintage furniture. I started easy but reupholstering a chair and bench that are over 80 yrs old and at $70 for both I couldn't pass them up!


I started by removing the 80 year old fabric on them.. what was under there.. well lets just say it wasn't pretty.. ever wonder what happens to foam after 80 years??


Well, it turns to dust! Eeeewww!! nasty. smelly. dust. at that!
I preceded by removing all the "foam" or lack there of and straw, yes straw.. that once made up the comfy cuchonie stuff someone once sat on. Removed nails.. oh boy were there nails! So after about 2 hours of removing fabric and nails and not to mention trying to keep all that "foam" from ending up all over my house, it was time to clean the wood and cut fabric! I had purchased a floral pattern that I liked at Walmart for about $4 a yard.. yup! that's all $4! I cut it and then put some foam (cant remember the name but, it was from Hancock's Fabric and it was about 8$ a yard) measured tugged and left some extra for you know "just in case" made sure everything fit and assembled both seats! What did I do with all the nails?! Well, I reused them to assemble my seats, I thought it would keep the pieces more true to their era that way.


I'd say they turned out great! They make great accent pieces in my new house and ice breakers when we have company..



No comments:

Post a Comment